A brief history of the Gorkha Jana Pustakalaya
Gorkhas were in the hill of Darjeeling right from 15th century.
On 1st February 1835 the King of Sikkim, a neighbouring State handed over Darjeeling and Kurseong to the East India Company. Later Kalimpong was also annexed to the British Empire from Bhutan.
The Gorkhas living in these three hilly regions were educationally and economically backward. Most of them earned their livelihood by physical labour. A large number of them had migrated from the bordering Nepal to work as labourers in the newly started tea plantations. The number of educated Gorkhas was negligible.
In April, 1913, one Jombay Paul, a compounder in Kurseong hospital started a reading room in one of the rooms of his house. The purpose was to provide space to his friends for reading news paper normally in the afternoon. During the assembly, the readers would discuss problems of the society. They realized the necessity of an organization which could endeavour to solve various problems of the Gorkha Community.
On 8th June, 1913, eight members of the reading room at a meeting resolved to form a social organization by name Gorkha Hill Community and Library which could accommodate more members.
On 15th June, 1913, another meeting was convened in which 16 people were present. In the meeting Gorkha Hill Community was formally formed. Jombay Paul handed over Rs. Three which he had collected for the reading room to the Community. The community rented a house in which a small library was opened. The members donated books and other reading materials for the library. The Library was named Gorkha Library. Thereafter, the community carried out all activities in the name of Gorkha Public Library and the name of the community went into oblivion.